Friday, March 30, 2012

Love Stories: Found in NYC


I decided, on a whim, to move to NYC one spring. Everyone asked me if I thought I'd meet someone, fall in love, and never come back to Austin. I doubted it.
Two years later, I was sitting on a picnic blanket in Central Park with friends. I was almost done with grad school, had a job waiting for me back in Texas, and was absolutely single. It seemed my fate was sealed, as far as that falling in love in NYC scenario was concerned. And then a guy, a mutual friend of the picnic organizer, came walking towards our blankets. I think a part of me recognized him right away: this is the man I will marry. But that is crazy, right? How could that possibly work?

We talked all afternoon and all night. He walked me home. I might have immediately made some phone calls announcing that I'd found The One. I couldn't explain the details. Like how this would possibly work. But it just had to.
After our first date, I spent the whole night staring at the bedroom ceiling trying to imagine how this could possibly work. By that point I was certain. It absolutely had to.


When I flew back to Texas by myself at the end of the summer, I cried. But he whispered in my ear: don't worry. I'll be there soon. And he was.

A few months later he left the big city to start a new life with me in Austin. A year later we were married. Almost five years and two kids later, I'm just as certain as I was sitting in Central Park, standing in front of my Upper East Side apartment, and staring at the bedroom ceiling: he is the one.


I wasn't expecting to fall in love in NYC. I wasn't sure how on earth it would work. But I did. And it did. And I couldn't be happier.

-- Laura, from Dirty Diaper Chic


See the previous Love Stories here! If you would like to submit your story, please see our Ruche Blogger Family page for details.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

I love hearing 'NY Love Stories'!

Mine is just the same and as someone who first fell in love with the city as a kid, I'm floored that even after my man and I married and moved to NC, we somehow landed back here (well at least on the Jersey side of the Hudson)

Its so fun sharing these kinds of stories!

Redheaded Daybook said...

how absolutely precious!

Meghann said...

Met my husband by chance online. He was in NY and I was in Texas. Two years later we met and married about eight months later. Ten years later we're on our sixth child who's due in twenty days. Something about Texas women and NY men... it just seems to work. :)

SreeBindu said...

love the story of love, especially adore the first pic =)
xoxo

Unknown said...

I found the love of my life during my "short stint" in NYC, too. We've been married 10 years this October... lovely, lovely post!

Amanda English said...

Awww, what a great story!!! xoxo A-