Sunday, February 12, 2012

Love Stories: Hope in Young Love

Our countdown to Valentine's Day continues! It's just around the corner now! ♥

Love Story: Hope in Young Love
--Annabelle


I was never one of those girls who planned their wedding as a child or sought after finding my prince charming. I was a tom boy and was interested in sports, being mischievous and having fun with my friends. Nick and I met at his cousin Thomas 18th birthday party 5 years ago, I had just turned 16 years old and was still in high school. My boyfriend at the time was friends with the people at the party and decided to dragged me along. When I got to the party,  I didn't know anyone, and to add on top of that I was one of the youngest ones there. I wanted to hide. Among the crowd of people, Nick had seen me walk in and decided to introduce himself to me. I guess you could say he was the first and really only one who talked with me that whole night. It was an interesting night of me constantly catching Nick starring at me from the corner of my eye, and him following me around trying to have as many conversations with me as he could. I was shy and just wanted to go home.

After I left that party, I did not see Nick for months, nor did I really think much of it. Things went sour in my relationship and my boyfriend and I at the time broke up. I was sad and bitter and wanted nothing more to do with love. Thomas (Nick's cousin) called me one night and asked if I was doing ok. I lied and told him I was good, but he insisted on coming by to chat. I don't know why I said yes, but I did. I guess a part of me thought that he would be coming with an apology from my ex boyfriend, but I was so wrong. Thomas showed up at my place, and to my surprise Nick was with him too. I was a bit nervous because I didn't know the boys that well, and trust was the last thing on my radar.  Nick was cracking jokes all night trying to make me laugh.. although I was really sad, and a bit insecure about myself, I couldn't help but smile. Nick was a dork, I love dorks.


After that night I thought nothing of anything and continued on believing that love did not exist. I decided that I was happy being alone and that I would not get into another relationship ever again. However, after that night, Nick got a hold of my number through his cousin and sent me a text message, "Hi Annabelle, this is Nick Spoletini!" I did not answer. But something was different about Nick. He was persistent and was not going to let me slip away that easily. Finally after days of sending me messages, I replied and we started hanging out. He was different than any guy I had met, he really was. I felt like a princess. When I would get into his car he would always walk over and open the old cavalier passenger door for me, when we went out to eat he would take my jacket for me and would always make sure my chair was pulled back for me to sit down. However, we were just friends, and that was all I wanted. But Nick had a different agenda.


He never stopped calling and would make sure I would hang out with him at least every weekend. I had never laughed so much in my life or been so happy, so I started falling for this young guy who really would not leave me alone. I told him I was afraid of falling in love. He responded by telling me that he was going to do everything in his power to make that happen. I had built a wall higher than the Great Wall of China and I was not planning on letting anyone tear it down. But Nick already had chipped some pieces away and was getting closer and closer to my heart.


Finally, one day in the car he asked me if I would go out with him. He told me he knew that I didn't want a relationship at the time but that he would wait for me. My heart melted, and I couldn't resist so I told him I would. Before we started officially dating he told me he wanted to ask my father for permission. He did just that, and after a long fatherly-protecting-daughter lecture, my dad said yes. Nick did not know this at the time but my dad recently told me that the next guy that tries to date me better ask for his permission. I laughed in response and told my dad to give that up because that would never happen. Old school love like that really doesen't exist anymore...I guess I was wrong. Nick said to me and my father that he knew that this relationship was going to be for a long time, and that he knows I am the girl he is going to eventually marry. I thought he was just saying that, little did I know he meant it. Besides, we were young, and marriage was the last thing on my mind. That was December 22, 2006.


November 13, 2010, I took Nick out for his birthday to Banff. I asked him where he wanted to go eat and he told me he wanted to go to the restaurant where we had our fist date in Bragg creek. He got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. Of course, I said yes. =) Suddenly my dad walked into the restaurant, then my mom, his family and all our friends. I didn't know this, but he sent out invitations for our engagement date and everyone was there to celebrate with us! We celebrated that night with the people that we love and looked forward to our future together ahead. Just like when we first started dating he asked my fathers permission before proposing, but this time for my hand in marriage. I am so thankful today that I did not listen to all the people who told me I should "live my life and date different people." I was happy with the guy that I chose and was having a heck of a time "living my life" WITH HIM, and today, I still am.



We got married August 5th, 2011. To this day, he still opens the door for me, he still even helps me take my jacket off when we go on dates. Nick was truly my first love, and I was his. I know that with God on our side things will only get better. Nick believed in us, and because he faught for it, we are together today. Nick's sister told me that when Nick saw me 5 years ago at that birthday party, he told her when I walked in, "that is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen, I want a wife like that one day." Who knew that wishes do come true, and yes there is still hope in young love.


Engagement and wedding photos done by Northridge Photography, our good friends.


--Annabelle





See the previous Love Stories here! If you would like to submit your story and join our Ruche Blogger Family, please send an e-mail to blog@shopruche.com. You may attach up to 5 photos. Please try to keep your stories to a 1200 word limit. You will receive an e-mail if your story is selected.

3 comments:

Kim said...

gah! too cute.

-kim
found the route

Heather Belle said...

Oh my goodness, this is the sweetest! Ahhh young love :)
xo Heather
http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

Sarah | Cable Car Couture said...

Absolutely darling -- the photos are breathtaking as well!

Sarah
Cable Car Couture